funsec mailing list archives

Re: "Hard drive destruction 'crucial'" (BBC)

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 22:18:59 -0500 (EST)

The only real market I can see is to recover accidentally
overwritten data, and that requires that somehow a drive had the
only copy (unlikely) _and_ got so carelessly treated as to get
overwritten (also unlikely).
You've never worked in a university, have you? :)

Either fifteen or sixteen years, depending on whether you count a
one-year leave of absence. :)

I actually was a bit too abbreviated.  I don't consider those
conditions unlikely per se; what I consider unlikely is that those
conditions will occur with data valuable enough to be worth the expense
of AFM-level palimpsest decoding at all.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org