funsec mailing list archives

Re: Why fingerprint biometrics are bad...

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:48:00 -0500

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 06:01:40PM -0800, Dragos Ruiu wrote:
(Experts have been saying it for years. Now we will have to deal with
the inadequacies of the systems put in place. cheers, --dr)

Yes.  Biometrics are known-bad, but the people pushing them seem
determined to learn this the hard way.  I often think they should be
made to watch the relevant illustrative scene in "Demolition Man" [1] until
they grasp why biometrics drastically increase the risk to personnel.

(Of course, it's entirely possible that they've absorbed the lesson,
but cynically -- and possibly correctly -- reason that since *they*
won't be incurring the risk, that it's acceptable.)

---Rsk

[1] I apologize to everyone for bringing up any film with Sylvester
Stallone so early in the day.