funsec mailing list archives

Re: Does Monster.Com Stores Passwords in the Clear?

From: nick hatch <nicholas.hatch () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 13:39:27 -0800

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com> wrote:

When are companies going to learn? (Obviously either "never"
or "when regulators [or lawyers] force them to learn".)

I'd go with never. A financial platform I know of stores online banking
passwords "encrypted" by doing an ASCII -> EBCDIC conversion.

That industry is crawling with regulators and auditors. Nobody cares. Or,
perhaps nobody knows.

-Nick