funsec mailing list archives

Laptop Security Device

From: Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 00:29:52 -0500

All,

For several years now, I have been looking for a "Laptop Burglar Alarm"
type of device. I have never found anything close to what I am looking
for. So, if you want to invent it, and sell it to the world, I hereby
give up all claims to the device, if you will simply invent it and
market it!

First, the device would have to support Macs and Linux, as well as Windoze.

My idea would be for a "USB NIC" style alarm. When you want to use the
device, you would plug one end of the device into an active RJ45 cable
that would simply sense the electrical signal on the cable as a sign the
alarm was "armed" and would not actually be a network connection. You
would than plug the device into the computer, and the device driver
would prompt you for a "disconnect password" that you had to enter
before closing the laptop, or unplugging either the USB device or the
network cable.

If you were to close the laptop, or unplug either the USB or RJ45 cable,
without first entering the disconnect password, the USB would
immediately start a 'car burglar alarm' type of screech, and the
computer would have its speaker volume switched to max and start the
same noise. To stop the noise, you would have either open the laptop, or
plug in the unplugged device, and enter the disconnect password. The
device would also block the computer's ability to go into sleep mode and
would immediate "jam" BIOS (OpenFirmware on a Mac) so as to require a
pass phrase (see next paragraph) to be able to boot the box (should the
thief force power off), including blocking the ability to boot from
alternate media. Plus, if the device was powered off while alarming, it
would immediate start alarming again when power was restored (while
prompting you for the pass phrase).

As a safety precaution, when you purchase the device, you would have to
register it to activate it, and at that time you would have to supply an
email address and a pass phrase to unlock BIOS should that ever be
necessary. This would supply a "password recovery mechanism" that would
ensure that your BIOS pass phrase was recoverable.

Yes, this device would not stop someone from stealing a laptop left in
an unlocked car, but it would maybe deter the theft of a laptop from a
home or business.

I would think you could sell such a device for $50 to $75 USD and that
there would be a strong market. (I would want at least 6 of them!)

There are a lot of sharp people on this list -- here is your chance to
build "the next great thing" and become as rich as your wildest dreams.

:-)

Jon K
- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-224-2494
s: 843-564-4224
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonrkibler

My PGP Fingerprint is:
BAA2 1F2C 5543 5D25 4636 A392 515C 5045 CF39 4253