funsec mailing list archives

Re: A different type of Spam

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:13:45 +1300

Toralv Dirro wrote:

I just received an email, that puzzled me for a while:

A Spam Quarantine Digest from a product we don't use and from
postmaster@ a different domain. There was a mail quarantined that was
indeed sent to me and was indeed spam.
On closer investigation it seems that the Spam was sent from their
internal network, detected by the product that is set to detect Spam in
outgoing email (which does make sense to detect zombies in the network)
and then Quarantine Digests were sent out to external receipients (which
does make no sense at all).

This is ancient -- I've been seeing it for years (well, not so much of
late, as I think folk have worked out to NOT configure outgoing spam
filtering this way, but...).

Oh, and some of the earliest was from products affiliated with your
employer!   8-)  ("Darn users...")  Misconfigured, I'm sure!

And to be pernickety (What?  Me?  Surely not...  8-) ) this is more a
different type of blowback (which, of course, invites the debate "Is
blowback just a form of spam?"...).

Well, now countless receipients worldwide received the Quarantine
Digest, and sooner rather than later the database of the spam filter
will be full :)

Network Darwinism in action...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald