funsec mailing list archives

Re: Adobe 0-day in the wild

From: "Alex Eckelberry" <AlexE () sunbelt-software com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 22:02:51 -0500

Fwiw, there are snort rules avail

http://snort.org/vrt/advisories/vrt-rules-2009-02-20.html

-----Original Message-----
From: funsec-bounces () linuxbox org [mailto:funsec-bounces () linuxbox org]
On Behalf Of Rich Kulawiec
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 5:50 PM
To: funsec () linuxbox org
Subject: Re: [funsec] Adobe 0-day in the wild

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 11:47:20AM -0800, nick hatch wrote:
Our current mitigation strategy is begging our users to be safe. Ugh.

Why not encourage them to switch to open-source software?
(As I've said elsewhere, "closed source" == "faith-based security".)

It's not a panacea of course, but (a) open-source projects tend to
respond much faster and (b) if they don't respond sufficiently quickly,
user communities can and will develop their own fixes.

Of course, I don't know whether any of the numerous open-source PDF
handlers out there will meet your particular needs; but if they don't,
then maybe the best approach is to discuss the situation with them and
figure out how to make it happen -- in which case everyone wins.
(I've found it, on occasion, *extremely* cost-effective to fund a little
development on a particular feature or two.  Amounts which wouldn't even
buy a year of support for a single-user license turn out to buy a lot
more when directed at low-budget projects.)

---Rsk