funsec mailing list archives

Re: standards for security in software

From: Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 23:17:41 -0400

Larry Seltzer wrote:
Below is the section of S.773 mandating that NIST establish ?measurable
and auditable cybersecurity standards? for systems and networks.

Do standards along these lines exist already? I guess I?d be surprised
if nothing like this exists, but the only ones I?m aware of don?t have a
lot of real world-relevance, like C1 and B certifiability.

Some of it is already in place or at least being worked on, like the
standard configurations (see
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Standardizing-the-Federal-Desktop/) or
the vulnerability specification stuff.

Do others think the other elements and the big picture of this is practical?

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com
<mailto:larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com>

Larry,

All standards with which I am familiar, and I think I have a good grasp
of what is out there, have to do with:
  1) Hardening systems and networks
  2) Policy and Processes
  3) Best Practices

I am not familiar with anything that addresses software development
security per se. As I recall, even IEEE/ISO 12207, which replaced the
old MilStd-498, does not address software security processes.

I think that spending money to specify the best practices for software
security and developing secure software is a great place to put our tax
dollars. It will be money well spent.

Jon
- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-813-2924 (NEW!)
s: 843-564-4224
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonrkibler

My PGP Fingerprint is:
BAA2 1F2C 5543 5D25 4636 A392 515C 5045 CF39 4253