funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [ISN] Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated By Spies

From: Jon Kibler <Jon.Kibler () aset com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 03:38:33 -0400

Paul Ferguson wrote:
<SNIP!>
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123914805204099085.html

By Siobhan Gorman
Technology
Wall Street Journal
April 8, 2009

WASHINGTON -- Cyberspies have penetrated the U.S. electrical grid and
left behind software programs that could be used to disrupt the system,
according to current and former national-security officials.

The spies came from China, Russia and other countries, these officials
said, and were believed to be on a mission to navigate the U.S.
electrical system and its controls. The intruders haven't sought to
damage the power grid or other key infrastructure, but officials warned
they could try during a crisis or war.

WOW! Thanks Fergie, I had not seen this one.

Now, to my point in the "cyber-9/11" thread, I should note that I had
said just about the same thing as reported in this article, and based
completely independently from any information in this article (since I
just now learned of its existence!):

JK: "Likewise, a state actor could cause similar disruption. For
example, should China, which clearly is conducting government / military
cyber espionage / cyber reconnaissance attacks against U.S. interests,
decide to militarily attack Taiwan and wanted to distract the U.S. from
possible early intervention, it unquestionably has the resources,
finances, and ability to launch a crippling cyber attack against U.S.
critical infrastructure, possibly including military assets."

Jon
- --
Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
Advanced Systems Engineering Technology, Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA
o: 843-849-8214
c: 843-813-2924 (NEW!)
s: 843-564-4224
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jonrkibler

My PGP Fingerprint is:
BAA2 1F2C 5543 5D25 4636 A392 515C 5045 CF39 4253