funsec mailing list archives

Amish hackers hold a satellite for ransom?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 18:47:23 +0300

I didn't read the article, but my title seems much cooler than theirs:

http://www.infiltrated.net/amishAttacks.html

Amish Hackers Compromise National Satellites
Expert Security Researcher Who Can't Be Named Citing National Security
April 09 2009

"Security experts are reporting today that Amish hackers equipped with
reverse engineered VCIM's have hacked into Instar's vehicle navigation
systems and are extorting Instar. "It's horrible. I was headed down Main
Street and my Garmin told me to turn right. 20 minutes later not only
was I was late for my interview, I went from being in Colorado to
driving down Fifth Avenue in New York City." stated a visibly shaken
John McSmith.

VCIM's or Vehicle Comm and Interface Module are a 3-watt cellular device
that allows the user to communicate data and voice signals over the
national cellular network. It is powered by a fused, battery positive
voltage circuit, connected through vehicle wiring to the 3-button
assembly and the radio, and attached by means of coax cables to the
cellular and navigation antennas. Ground for the module is accomplished
by means of dedicated circuits that are routed with body wiring systems
to chassis ground points. The module houses 2 modems, one to process
global positioning system (GPS) data, and the other for cellular
information. Satellites orbiting earth are constantly transmitting The
navigation antenna receives these GPS signals and provides the data to
the VCIM to be processed. The VCIM communicates with the rest of the
vehicle over the class 2 serial data bus. The ignition state is
determined by the VCIM through class 2 messaging. Amish hackers are now
capable of exploiting these VCIM's and are demanding the immediate
withdrawal of automobiles from Reading Pennsylvannia."