funsec mailing list archives

Re: FTC files complaint against "BogusComputerScan Software" makers

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 15:36:50 -0400

[ overdue -- was stuck on dead laptop, since revived. ]

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 01:19:41PM -0500, Alex Eckelberry wrote:
Fair enough.  I would only say that this stuff occurred 7-10 years ago,
and the company is not even close to what it was back in the 90s and
early part of this decade.

I would be more inclined to consider that seriously if not for:

        http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/About/Management/

which suggests that Spammin' Stu's reward for his abusive behavior
was retention and promotion.  Any ethical company would have fired him
instantly, profusely and publicly apologized for his actions on its behalf,
and donated all ill-gotten gains from those actions to charity.

But back to the topic of the FTC: I note with interest their role in
the two biggest anti-abuse stories of 2008: the disconnections of Atrivo
and McColo.

Oh, that's right: none.  The community did that -- after various published
accounts created a PR situation demanding attention.  (And after some
excellent research and writing by a number of people, including some
folks who are on this list.)

Oh, and their role in documentating large-scale network hijacking by
Scott Richter...oh, wait...none again, that was Ron Guilmette.  How about
network hijacking and spam hosting by Suavemente...no, that was Spamhaus.

And so on.  I find it impossible to name a single FTC action against
spammers and other 'net abusers that has had any real significance.  Ever.
Oh, sure, they take token action from time to time whenever they feel
the need to issue a self-congratulatory press release; but they have
yet to demonstrate the ability, even once, to take *effective* action.

I don't think there's any real help coming there.

---Rsk