funsec mailing list archives

Re: Way OT: Multiple laptop backpack?

From: Damian Gerow <dgerow () afflictions org>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 23:39:19 -0400

Jon Kibler wrote:
: Okay, I admit that this is WAY OFF from the topic of "fun security", but
: I have spent most of the evening with our friend Google and have got
: nothing to show for my efforts, so I hope someone here knows the answer...
:
: I am consistently stuck carrying at least two laptops. Sometimes, such
: as when I am doing pen testing demos, I get stuck carrying more than two
: laptops. I am looking for a backpack or rollerboard that was designed to
: carry two or more 17" laptops (MBPs or ThinkPads). Can anyone recommend
: a good product?

I've been looking for such a thing for years.  Heck, I've been looking for a
good -- as in, better than "not totally crappy" -- single-laptop backpack
for a while, but they're few and far between.  Anyhow, this is what I've
settled on.

Head down to my local backpack-selling shop.  Find myself a medium-sized,
comfortable backpack, usually in the weekend-trek range of size (45 litres,
or so?).  That is my backpack.  I prefer to target things with a number of
side pockets and pouches, to help me keep things organized.

I then find the slim-fitting laptop sleeve-things, and buy ones that are of
appropriate sizes for the laptops in question.  The ones I've stumbled
across have pockets for some essentials (power supply, network cable, USB
keys, PCMCIA/Cardbus cards), but that's about it: they're pretty slim
fitting.

Voila.  I have individual bags for my laptops that protect them, and hold
all their essentials.  And I have a larger, more comfortable bag for myself,
into which go the laptops (in their respective bags), books, papers,
wallets, CDs, ransom notes, whatever I happen to need at that point in time.

(For all you Canadians, MEC is my source.)