funsec mailing list archives

Spammed by Skype...

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 23:55:01 +1200

Hi all,

In keeping with recent threads...

OK, so Skype is not a security company but it has a very large
userbase, is involved in the online communications arena and therefore
should set a better example than your average douche-bag commercial
entity.  I've heard several people before complain about not being able
to get Skype to stop spamming them.  When I signed up I specifically
clicked all the "don't send me any Email" options.

I happened to be in the Czech Republic when I downloaded and installed
Skype.  I installed it and told the installer I was resident in New
Zealand (as per my OS locale settings) and it divined that I would want
the English language interface.

Guess what language they spammed me in?

Yep -- Czech...

Given I installed in English, registered in English and told them never
to send me any Email, this must be unsolicited Email as it's in a
language I don't understand and in which I have NEVER had any
communications with this company.

Looking at one of the multi-BL lookup sites it seems only one BL
providers has the cajones to list these dumb-ass mo-f*ckers,

More incredible, some "verified whitelist" "BLs" actually include this
known spammer as a "known good mail host"...

In case you run a BL of any kind (even just your local mail server),
stick mta.news.skype.com (62.221.20.26) where the sun will no longer
shine on it.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald