funsec mailing list archives

Re: [mwp] Ummmm, did they actually look at any of those .info sites?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 13:58:07 +1200

Alex Eckelberry to Rob Slade:

Why use .info when you can have chase-online-banking-survey.com instead?

Yeah, but why use chase-online-banking-survey.com when you can use
chase-online-banking-survey.freetown.com or chase-online-banking-
survey.freeweb.net or even 1.2.3.4/online.chase.com (or whatever their
online banking sub-domain is)?

True, some of those (well, the IP-only one) have lost favour because of
spam filtering and "security" features in MUAs.

The stats are reported as rates, not raw numbers (well, the raw numbers
were in the APWG presentation I saw -- I've not seen the actual report
and am composing this offline so can't check) it's not about sheer
popularity (though being smaller _may_ mean .info has more (clueful)
response resources percomplaint to expend...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald