funsec mailing list archives

Fwd: [rforno () infowarrior org: [Infowarrior] - Epic Fail: Twitter Password Security]

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:32:26 -0400

----- Forwarded message from Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org> -----

From: Richard Forno <rforno () infowarrior org>
To: Undisclosed-recipients:  <>;
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 00:07:21 -0400
Subject: [Infowarrior] - Epic Fail: Twitter Password Security

Another Security Tip For Twitter: Don?t Use ?Password? As Your Server
Password
116 Comments
by Robin Wauters on July 15, 2009
With all the chatter about the current security issues surrounding
Twitter, its workforce and the cloud-based Google apps they use, a new
security issue has popped up that makes it trivially easy for anyone
to access the Twitter servers directly. The problem? The password to
the servers was, literally, ?password.?

Twitter co-founder Biz Stone, responding to our email, said ?this bug
allowed access to the search product interface only. No personally
identifiable user information is accessible on that site.? Although no
user accounts were compromised or accessible, the vulnerability speaks
to a greater culture of lax security at the startup, and may be
indicative of how earlier breaches possibly occurred.

With that in mind, we have some friendly advice for Twitter. For
instance, it would be wise if in the future Twitter insiders do not
use the password ?password? for the back ends of its systems or one of
its co-founder?s names (Jack) as a username.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/15/another-security-tip-for-twitter-dont-use-password-as-your-passwo

See also:

July 16, 2009

Twitter Hack Raises Flags on Security