funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bank security

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:10:21 +0100 (BST)

I think the way it works is this.

You have the people who actually understand A) security and B) how
computers work and C) how email works and D) how the internet works and E)
the things that people get up to and F) the stupid things that users do.
That's a small number of people. Me, of course, and obviously you.

Then you have the people who write the rules that banks make for
themselves. They understand a few of the above, and, of course, they're
pants at communication.

Then you have the bank staff who try to comply with the rules so
incomprehensibly written, and without any understanding of the basis for
those rules, which themselves were written by goldfish. But what they do
understand, is that if they stick to the rules, they can't be fired if
something goes wrong, and if they don't stick to the rules, they can be
fired.

And then you have the users; that's you and me again, plus your granny,
plus Joe Lunchmeat, plus Evir Ghord Hruwhem. All we want is a convenient
service without any stupid security restrictions. Except we don't want
anyone stealing our money. And we don't know the rules the banks work by,
because they're secret, except when we bump up against one of them, and
even then we don't find out what the rule is, we only find out what the
bank clerk thinks the rule is.