funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [Dataloss] Network Solutions was PCI compliant before breach

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 21:24:49 -0400 (EDT)

/me spent approximately 9.34934 seconds wondering what these guys
would classify as an "exact" number.
I was roughly 34.742% certainly you would say that.

Jokes aside, "exact" can refer to either accuracy or precision.  I
suspect that the difference between the two is what's causing trouble
here.  (What is the difference?  Accuracy is how close a number is to
reality; precision is how small a number's error estimate is.  For
example, I could say that there are 3,418,029,600 plus-or-minus 10
humans on our planet at the moment.  This is a very _precise_ number,
the error estimate being about three parts per billion, but it is a
wildly _inaccurate_ number, being about half the actual figure.)

I suspect their "approximately" really meant "this is the exact number
we have in hand, but we're not all that confident that it truly
reflects the reality".

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org