funsec mailing list archives

Re: when scifi becomes ridiculous reality

From: chris () blask org
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:09:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 9/11/09, Stephen Pirk <steve () pirk com> wrote:
Fri, Sep 11, 2009 03:26, Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org> wrote:

When scifi becomes ridiculous reality:

http://xkcd.com/635/

Exactly how I feel. Too friggin' funny. So many scfi
adventures from my teenage years are coming back to say
"see I told you so..."

The Ender's Game story of Locke and Demosthenes is the most pertinent sci-fi and among the most overlooked.  Flying
cars and communicators can come and go and won't have nearly the impact of the forums hinted at in this sub-plot.

I got involved in political blogging last year during the US presidential contest and got pretty familiar with the
state of the half-step towards similar forums that are the multi-user political blogs circa 2008.  It has been
interesting being part of creating the Motley Moose and seeing in a small way how this medium can be evolved into a
more productive part of political discourse (today, in fact, is the first day of the second year of the Moose -
http://www.motleymoose.com/diary/1905/happy-anniversary ).

It seems inevitable that Scott's view will come to pass fully over time.  When the public discourse on political topics
is not separate from the active politics of those who hold office, but rather the center of a continuum of conversation.

-chris