funsec mailing list archives

Re: ICANN Approves Non-Latin Domain Name Characters

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:15:06 -0400

Just kidding about the "looking for quotes" line. I won't implicate
anyone here unless you tell me you want to be quoted, and then I'll just
garble the quote to humiliate you.

Really, I'll treat this thread as an educational experience, make up my
own mind and talk about that. So far my guess is that, based on pretty
much all prior experience on the Internet, there have to be exploitable
software bugs and social engineering opportunities in this, probably
significant ones. How much support is there right now in available
software for punycode?

Here's a stupid question: Is it possible that there are buffer overflows
out there just from all the extra bytes in domain names?

Larry Seltzer
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry_seltzer () ziffdavis com
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/