funsec mailing list archives

Re: Foul

From: Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 00:13:23 -0800

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:03 AM, security curmudgeon
<jericho () attrition org> wrote:

: SCADA Security: Abuse of Objective Mailing List Abuse
:
http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/2009/11/scada-security-conscience-abuse-of.h
tml :
: Yes, I am pissed.

Fight back, by posting your 'censored' content to your blog (or here).

The first post from me was:

[snip]

"Hackers are like witches in Salem in the 1600s. When crops failed, people
blamed it on the witches, who were burned at the stake. These people
believed they were acting intelligently. The witches were convicted in
'fair' trials, with 'proof beyond a reasonable doubt'. For example, victims
would testify how the accused witch would curse them, or give them the Evil
Eye. Why would they lie about being cursed?"

"Now, when computers fail, people are immediately suspicious of hackers."

- - - Robert Graham, Errata Security.

http://erratasec.blogspot.com/2009/11/brazil-outage-not-caused-by-hackers.h
tml

Enjoy,

- - ferg

[snip]

Which probably set the prejudice in motion.

The second one:

[snip]

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Paul Ferguson <fergdawgster () gmail com>
"Hackers are like witches in Salem in the 1600s. When crops failed,
people blamed it on the witches, who were burned at the stake. These
people
believed they were acting intelligently. The witches were convicted in
'fair' trials, with 'proof beyond a reasonable doubt'. For example,
victims would testify how the accused witch would curse them, or give
them the Evil Eye. Why would they lie about being cursed?"

"Now, when computers fail, people are immediately suspicious of hackers."

- - Robert Graham, Errata Security.

http://erratasec.blogspot.com/2009/11/brazil-outage-not-caused-by-hackers
.h tml

No that I have watched the 60 Minutes episode in question, I can't speak to
the Energy Grid issues -- but I can speak to all of the other cyber crime
issue mentioned.

They are all true, even minimized.

If you think that they these sophisticated criminals cannot use the same
techniques against ICS/SCADA infrstructire, you are deluding yourself.

- - - ferg

[snip]

Neither of which have shown up on the SCADAsec archives, I suppose because
they were unilaterally rejected.

I reject this in, and of , itself.

- - ferg

--