funsec mailing list archives

Re: Foul

From: Jacob Appelbaum <jacob () appelbaum net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 01:42:00 -0800

Les Bell wrote:
chris () blask org wrote:

While it's nice that we have attention there, the fact that there is little
or no attention in all of the other vulnerable sectors is a problem itself.
<<

Personally, I don't mind sitting in the dark - if the power fails, I have
UPS, etc. anyway. But a backed-up sewer would give me ... would give me ...
well, let's just say I wouldn't enjoy it much.

One of the (if not the) first prosecutions of a hacker in Australia was
that of Vitek Boden, who - back in March/April 2000 - modified telemetry
data used by a sewage treatment plant operated by Maroochydore Shire
Council, in Queensland. This caused millions of litres of raw sewage to be
pumped into local waterways, parks and even a 5-star resort. Boden was
sentenced to two years imprisonment.

Disruption of SCADA systems can be really unpleasant.

Uh, wasn't the book Underground about hackers arrested in Australia
during the 80s and early 90s? It seems that Vitek was far from the first
prosecutions of a hacker in Australia.

Best,
Jacob