funsec mailing list archives

Re: NASA on 2012 crap - excellent

From: chris () blask org
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 16:47:55 -0800 (PST)

--- On Tue, 11/17/09, Dan White <dwhite () olp net> wrote:

I think there exists now, more than ever, bubble environments
online for people to re-enforce their instinct and belief systems.
.d.

The same is true for someone who wants to believe any political
or disaster conspiracy under, and including, the moon.

I have been pondering that a lot recently.  Like most (well, all) topics, I have tended to brush this one away with a
broom of optimism, but I am secretly a bit more concerned than I normally let on (I'll deny I wrote this if pressed).

Does the self-ghettoization possible on the Internet lead to more negativity than are balanced by the positives?  Were
we a better people when we had access to little information but 78% shared the experience of watching Lucy become a
Mom?  Are we somehow less today with endless information but no more than 10% of us sharing a single TV show?  Where we
can surround ourselves with a ditto-heading micro-minority that is still so large it fills our horizons?

I don't know.  The answer, I believe, is further down the path and much more complexly derived than we can visualize
from here.

My hope is that it's just the result of new groups of people
coming online and finding more efficient means of spreading
their messages, and not a widespread change in our collective
ability to be skeptical of stupid ideas.

I agree strongly with this.  However, the critical-massing of the new groupings has its own perhaps troublesome effect.

-chris