funsec mailing list archives

Re: Oops. Sorry, wrong boat. Could we have a do-over?

From: chris () blask org
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 19:26:53 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 10/7/09, Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org> wrote:

    Somali pirates attack French military flagship

From the "Sucks to be you" school of international crime...

The f'ed up thing is, the captured pirates are 10,000% better off now that they are in custody than they were free.

"Calmer waters allow pirates, who often operate in small fibreglass skiffs towed out to sea by captured fishing
vessels,"...

Am I the only one with pictures of the Raft sequence from Cryptonomicon in his head?  I'd love to see a Phalanx force
one of the tow ships underwater, but even that wouldn't get the "culprits" - they're the warlords staying on shore
sending kids out with guns and rustbuckets (can anyone say AC-130?).

With almost all of Asia joining the first world in the last few decades (sorry NK and Burma) it's about time for Africa
to stop being home to the worst places on earth, though I have the sinking feeling it will be a few more decades before
we see that start to shape up.  Start eating your wheaties if you want to live long enough to see it.

-chris