funsec mailing list archives

Scammers exploit public lists of hijacked Hotmail passwords

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 23:39:32 +0300 (EEST)

"Scammers have grabbed the Hotmail passwords that leaked to the Web and are using them in a plot involving a fake
Chinese electronics seller
to bilk users out of cash and their credit card information, a security researcher said today.

"We've seen a 30% to 40% increase in these types of spam messages in the last several days," said Patrik Runald, senior
manager of Websense's security research team.
"By 'these types of spam,' I mean messages that are advertising great consumer electronics bargains, such as cameras
and computers.""
--clip--

More at
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139092/Scammers_exploit_public_lists_of_hijacked_Hotmail_passwords

But it was just some days ago when Microsoft announced that it has been locked these account - during the weekend
already...

Juha-Matti