funsec mailing list archives

man-made swine-bird flu, what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 23:21:05 +0200

http://shanghaiist.com/2009/11/19/man-made_swine_flu_supervirus_whats.php

Man-made swine-bird flu supervirus: What's French for "apocalypse"?

  Since up until now, we've only seen the  third case of serious swine
flu emerged in Shanghai, you may well be wondering, “how bad could all
this hullabaloo get anyway?"

Pretty bad. Do you remember Avian Flu? The one that had a high mortality
rate but was difficult to contract? What would you say about the
creation of a supervirus that was as contagious as the swine flu and as
deadly as the avian flu?

It may not be as far-fetched a scenario as you'd think, as French
scientists at the Jean Mérieux/INSERM facility in Lyon are splicing
genetic material from both viruses to see if the two could possibly
recombine, and whether the resulting virus would be deadlier than either.

There's a reason for the madness: this scenario tries to anticipate
pandemics, attempting to see what potential paths they might take. And
at least according to the facility, chances of the virus leaving the lab
and entering the world ala Outbreak are very, very low - they're
categorized as Level-4 Biohazards, the same level as that freaky-scary
Ebola virus - so they're being handled as such.

We've got Dustin Hoffman on speed dial, though, just in case.