funsec mailing list archives

Re: [psysec] WTF! Or, wow, this never happened to me before!

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 18:28:34 -0800

Date sent:              Wed, 25 Nov 2009 03:27:51 +0200
From:                   Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>

What would you have done?

a) I'm in favour of drills.

b) I'm in favour of a policy of "no exceptions, do as if real" on drills.

c) I'm in favour of (almost) no exceptions on policy.

I would have left.

But, yeah, it would have been an interesting experiment in social engineering to
see if you could trip the machine.

(I've had my lectures and seminars interrupted by fire drills and alarms numerous
times.  It makes for interesting examples in physical security.  Such as the building
where the fire alarm was almost inaudible in the training room, but literally
headache-inducing in the exit stairwell.  Or the buidling where we evacuated to a
most unsafe area [fourth floor parking lot within the building], and then had to go
back through a ridiculous security process, exacerbated by the fact that everything,
including laptops that had been checked in in the morning, had been left in the
training room.  Took more than an hour to restart that course.)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
If a professor tells you that computer science is x but not y,
have compassion for his students.                   - Alan J. Perlis
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade