funsec mailing list archives

Re: Gee, what a surprise: RFID is dangerous ...

From: "David Lodge" <dave () cirt net>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:46:38 -0000

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:30:46 -0000, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &
Hannah <rmslade () shaw ca> wrote:
Thousands of travelers and consumers can fall victim to electronic
pickpocketing
and never even know it because they carry new credit cards and U.S.
passports.
Credit card issuers, along with the U.S. State Department, have begun
installing
radio frequency identification (RFID) chips in credit cards and
passports because
the technology holds more data than magnetic stripes and can be read
quicker.

The UK got this is passports a few years ago, and one of my credit cards
now has RFID on it.

I went the low tech way to stop this and got a portable farraday cage
wallet: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/8cdd/

Both the passport and credit card have a wireless symbol on it (though
they're both different).

I still don't trust them :-)

dave