funsec mailing list archives

FBI puts cyber threats in "perspective"

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:05:17 -0800

"The FBI considers the cyber threat against our nation to be one of the greatest
concerns of the 21st century."

OK, that's a perspective, all right ...

"An increasing array of sophisticated state and non-state actors have the
capability to steal, alter or destroy our sensitive data and, in the worst of cases, to
manipulate from afar the process control systems that are meant to ensure the
proper functioning of portions of our critical infrastructure. Moreover, the
number of actors with the ability to utilize computers for illegal, harmful, and
possibly devastating purposes continues to rise. When assessing the extent of the
cyber threat, the FBI considers both the sophistication and the intent of U.S.
adversaries. The most sophisticated actors have the ability to alter our hardware
and software along the global supply chain route, conduct remote intrusions into
our networks, establish the physical and technical presence necessary to re-route
and monitor our wireless communications, and plant dangerous insiders within our
private sector and government organizations."

Oh, but wait ...

"The actors that currently have all of these capabilities - which is a finding that is
distinct from whether and when they are using them - include multiple nation
states and likely include some organized crime groups. The FBI has not yet seen a
high level of end-to-end cyber sophistication within terrorist organizations."

OK, so there's basically no evidence that anyone is doing it, but if somebody did do
it it would be bad.  So this is the big threat.

I've got a bigger one.  Terrorists are plotting to drop the world into the sun.

Ha!  Topped ya ...

http://www.govinfosecurity.com/articles.php?art_id=1962

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long,
difficult words but rather short, easy words like 'What about
lunch?'                                                       - Pooh
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade