funsec mailing list archives

Get lost in Vancouver with Google Streetview

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:28:11 -0800

Google Streetview has come to Canada!

All kinds of people are rejoicing: all kinds of privacy types are screaming.

My wife sings at a Remembrance Day service every year at a seniors residence in
the West End.  This year we are meeting someone there, and I figured that Google
Maps, and Streetview, would provide some assistance to them.

Found an interesting, and so far repeatable, bug.

Go to
http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=49.285457,-
123.128253&spn=0,359.989175&z=17&layer=c&cbll=49.28554,-
123.128384&panoid=bSAFnLhpCn32dxXGDvnXoQ&cbp=12,326.65,,0,5

(or http://is.gd/4eaGw )

You are now a little north of the intersection of Haro and Bute, facing north west
(if you are seeing a yellow delivery van in front of you).  If you click the "back"
arrow on the line that appears in the street, you will move backwards to the
intersection.  If you click forward from this point, you will notice that the street
changes completely.  You are no longer on Haro, but in the lane behind the
building to your right (northeast).

As far as I can tell, Google doesn't even intend for you to have the option of
going down that lane.  Also, I can't find a way to get back on Haro street until the
end of the block.

(I can also tell which way the Google car was driving down Haro when it tooks the
series.)

So, if you come to Vancouver for the Olympics, don't rely on Streetview.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
We are currently being told to follow our bliss.  However,
tradition tells us that ignorance is bliss.  Taking these two
statements together would explain a lot about modern society.  - rms
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade