funsec mailing list archives

Re: MagicJack introducing cheap "femtocell"

From: Robert Portvliet <robert.portvliet () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 19:51:17 -0500

"Borislow said the device is legal because wireless spectrum licenses
don't extend into the home."

Is this true?

On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &
Hannah <rMslade () shaw ca> wrote:
First the fun.  Geekly speaking, this is cool.

http://bit.ly/7qiZou  (AP)

Three parts to the sec.

a)  Cheap interception devices?

b)  Wanna drive the telcos out of business?

c)  If we do b, we got lots of sec to talk about ...

For some time, I have been idly exploring the possibilities of marrying dynamic re-
routing capabilities to cell phones, along with, essentially, a femtocell-like
function included with every phone.  In contrast to the current contention model
for communications (the more phones in an area the worse the
bandwidth/communications function), when you use protocols like CDMA2000
(where the closer the devices are to each other, the higher the data rates) you get
a situation where the more phones there are in an area the greater the bandwidth,
and the better the communications.

Once you reach a certain critical mass (and address some issues for long distance--
not insurmountable), the central telco becomes irrelevant.  And redundant ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Henslowe: Mr. Fennyman, allow me to explain about the theatre
  business.  The natural condition is one of insurmountable
  obstacles on the road to imminent disaster.
Fennyman: So what do we do?
Henslowe: Nothing.  Strangely enough, it all turns out well.
Fennyman: How?
Henslowe: I don't know.  It's a mystery.
                                       - Shakespeare in Love (1998)
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade