funsec mailing list archives

Inmate Hackers

From: "Justin Scott" <admin () dtdns com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:58:29 -0500

There is a lot of content about "thin client hacking". One
of the most common ways to hack a thin client is simply open
up "help". This is a separate program that contains links to
other programs, the command prompt, and the web browser to
the Internet.

On a related note, I've been tossed into a project where I could use some
advice.  One of my clients is hoping to put some computers in a prison for
inmates to use for specific applications (let's just say online learning for
the sake of discussion).  The plan involves putting a computer into a kiosk
style enclosure which would boot from a Debian Live CD (no hard disk in the
computer) running a customized version of Webconverger
(www.webconverger.com).  This is a custom version of Debian Live which boots
into a stripped down Mozilla web browser.  It would have a home page coded
into it and the address bar would not be available.  The boot menu is
password protected, and the keyboard would not have function keys on it.
The network layout calls for a firewall that only allows egress traffic to
certain public IP addresses where the application lives.

Any thoughts on how this could be torn to shreds by someone who really knows
what they're doing?

-Justin