funsec mailing list archives

Re: E-Mail Leak Has Google Threatening to Leave China

From: phester <funsec () armorfirewall com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 13:33:16 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Jan 2010, Paul Ferguson wrote:

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 9:09 PM, rick wesson
<rick () support-intelligence com> wrote:

I'm hearing that its like 30 companies involved. What I'm wondering is
how they attributed it to the Chinese. With so many compromised systems
in china isn't that the perfect joe-job?

There's an advantage to wearing hats of varying shades of gray. When my
systems are attacked, I attack back. Your point on compromised systems is
valid, but it also presents an opportunity to an investigator - the
attacking machines are usually not hard to own. Once you own the box,
finding the source of a bounced attack is easy. Changing the default route
when you're done also usually deprives the attacker of that asset.

If I was Chinese and working to penetrate a bunch of us companies why
would i do the deed from my own countries network. Rarely does a cyber
criminal use networks within their own country to control asses, why do
the Chinese?

Probably because their outbound connections are watched very closely when
entering any other country. Wouldn't say, Romania be very helpful to the
attacked party in sending logs of the inbound connection from China to the
attacking proxy?

If I was from another nation I would look at the Chinese systems as a
easy proxy, and throw off my trail by attempted crompromise of "freedom
fighter" accounts. One thing I have learned is that attribution is very
hard to do.

True. But it's also worth noting that many institutions which have had
intellectual property stolen soon see their product appear in China.

Hi Rick,

Those are great points -- but of course there are a lot of details missing
right now.

Yup. Hopefully Google will be more forthcoming, at least to the security
field.

Having said that, I know some really bright security folks at Google, so I
have to initially believe they have good reason to suspect in-country
perpetrators.

Yeah, I doubt they'd go public without some pretty solid evidence.

But then again, we all know that things are not always as they appear. :-)

If this was the fedgov, I wouldn't be surprised if they were wrong (or
flat-out lying). But this is Google, where there is some degree of
competence and accountability.