funsec mailing list archives

Re: something is weird abou this site

From: Morgan Collins <mc () flashfried com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 13:05:29 -0500

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:02:12 -0600, RandallM <randallm () fidmail com> wrote:
hey
I found out about this site, Amazon Mechanical Turk, while searching
for "make money" and such searches to just track down suspicious
activities.
...SNIP....

I am sorry, but there is just something phishy here with this. Anyone
hear or have more info on this "Amazon" site? Shouldn't I trust it
since its Amazon?? Just seems a good place to hide stuff.

Amazon Mechanical Turk is a legit system run by Amazon.  Anyone can upload
a "job" which is paid piecemeal.  For example, a person might pay 2 cents
for every photo of a puppy dog a person finds.  That being said, the "job"
itself is only as legit as the person who uploads it.  Someone could post a
job that is some sort of affiliate fraud or referral chain fraud.  It looks
like the job you posted might be something like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Mechanical_Turk

--
DISCLAIMER: To sustain order and to increase our economic, social
and mental efficiency, we've got to make sure that we can rely on your