funsec mailing list archives

Re: MSIE 6/7/8 unpatched vulnerability confirmed

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:43:55 -0500

Let's assume that Mikko got his bad information from iDefense. That puts all the confusion on them. I guess it's not a
big matter and you'll find, with any really big story, the early reports on it are confused. I remember when the first
Gulf War broke out for the first day or so there were all sorts of wacky stories of what happened.

I heard fairly early on that there were many different attack programs used and Paul is certain that some of them were
malicious PDFs. As I wrote at the time, it was really easy to believe that malicious PDFs were used because they're so
cutting edge in these things, are excellent vehicles for targeted attacks, and this was a classic targeted attack.

So when McAfee says "... contrary to some reports our findings to date have not shown a vulnerability in Adobe Reader
being a factor in these attacks" (http://siblog.mcafee.com/cto/operation-%E2%80%9Caurora%E2%80%9D-hit-google-others/)
are they unaware of the PDF attacks? Or are they just trying to sound smarter than everyone else?

As I've said in another thread, you can't trust these security vendors anyway. They're all just in it for the money.

Larry Seltzer
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry_seltzer () ziffdavis com
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/