funsec mailing list archives

Re: fog of cyberwar

From: "Thomas Raef" <TRaef () wewatchyourwebsite com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 23:18:46 -0600

3. Why are people treating targeted attacks as a new threat model?

Maybe it's new to them. I think that many journalists/reporters/??? are
new to the whole game at hand. Maybe it's that they haven't been around
long enough to have experienced targeted attacks and it's something
somewhat new. After all, some in the security industry have talked about
how cyber attacks aren't targeted toward anyone specifically, they're
random acts of meanness.

Either that, or they (the people treating targeted attacks as a new
threat model) just want something to hype.

Thomas J. Raef
e-Based Security
"You're either hardened or you're hacked!"
We Watch Your Website
"We Watch Your Website - so you don't have to."