funsec mailing list archives

Re: fog of cyberwar

From: phester <funsec () armorfirewall com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:22:00 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Gadi Evron wrote:

On 1/23/10 2:02 AM, Rich Kulawiec wrote:
Meanwhile, Microsoft has essentially unlimited personnel and financial
resources.  They could hire 500 top-notch staff tomorrow, pay them
out of petty cash, and completely rewrite IE with security as the
overarching design goal -- if they wanted to.  They could have done
so years ago -- if they wanted to.

Microsoft has put a lot into securing its code, and is very good at
doing so.

Not really. I've seen a number of cases where they fixed the known
exploit, without patching the underlying bug.

My main argument here is about the policy of handling vulnerabilities
for 6 months without patching (such as this one apparently was) and the
policy of waiting a whole month before patching an in-the-wild 0day exploit.

I once advised them of a vulnerability (upnp) via a backchannel. They
didn't fix it until it became public, 2 years later.

We had a gentleman's agreement that I wouldn't release it, which I
honored. There was no discussion of me using it, though.

Microsoft is the main proponent of responsible disclosure, and has shown
it is a responsible vendor. Also, patching vulnerabilities is far from
easy, and Microsoft has done a tremendous job at getting it done. I
simply call on it to stay responsible and amend its faulty and dangerous
policies. A whole month as the default response to patching a 0day? Really?

With their practical monopoly, and the resulting monoculture, perhaps
their policies ought to be examined for regulation as critical
infrastructure, if they can't bring themselves to be more responsible on
their own.

Civil Liability. When vendors are held accountable for financial losses
caused by unpatched bugs, there will be much fewer cases.

This is the first time in a long while that I find it fit to criticize
Microsoft on security. Perhaps they have grown complacent with the PR
nightmare of full disclosure a decade behind them, with most
vulnerabilities now "sold" to them directly or indirectly by the
security industry.

Same old. I've seen this with vendors since the 70s. It's much cheaper to
keep a bug secret, than to patch it before it becomes public.

A great example is the finger bug. Discovered in the 70s, still working in
the mid 90s, because "only a few people know about it".