funsec mailing list archives

Re: Stupidest social networking idea *EVAH*!

From: Joel Esler <eslerj () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 18:35:39 -0500

Have you seen the flockedup pitch?  Google it on YouTube.

--
Joel Esler

On Jan 28, 2010, at 6:20 PM, "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon &
Hannah" <rmslade () shaw ca> wrote:

I'm still not sure I believe this.  On the other hand, in our hyper-
materialist,
consumer-oriented society ...

It seems there is this site called Blippy, at http://blippy.com/ .
It is for discussing
what you bought.  Except that there can't be much discussion, since
it is modelled
on Twitter, and presumably has a similar size limit on postings.  In
order to make
it easier to discuss what you bought, you can link it to your credit
or debit card,
and what you bought, and where, will automatically be posted.  It
also apparently
posts cash advances and withdrawals.

Are these people *insane*?  And, if so, how long do they have to be
off their
meds before the credit cards are cancelled?

Even if they don't show your credit card number, the pattern of
purchases is a
fraudster or ID thief's dream come true.  When you are calling to
report a lost
card, or a problem with it, one of the standard questions that you
get is about
recent purchases.  It would also be great for spear phishing and
other targetted
attacks: you bought X, would you like the extended warranty/necessary
service/mailing list for upgrades for that?  Just enter your credit
card details on our
site.

http://ecreditdaily.com/2010/01/report-credit-card-twitter-ripe-phishing-attacks/

I've tried to sign up on the site, in order to find out whether this
is true.  So far I
got stuck before I could complete the process.  So, maybe that is a
safety feature:
the site doesn't work.  (Or, maybe it only works with IE.  Yet
another reason to
use Firefox.)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
                As I said before, I never repeat myself
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/
index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade