funsec mailing list archives

Re: Death porn, media, and socmedia

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 23:06:03 -0500

Look, if you want to complain about something, complain about the fact
that so few eyes were allowed to be placed on the track -- as part of
the genuinely offensive Own The Podium scheme -- that consensus
couldn't be developed to do something about the risk of someone flying
off the track and hitting the pole.  Hell, of course Kumaritashvili
was lifting his head, this was a new track for him!  And why was it a
new track?  Own the Podium.

Interesting article, where the Own The Podium link is pretty much
admitted, BUT (and this is rather important) it's claimed this is a
problem in Luge,and winter sports,  *in general*.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=8935.html

===

In some instances, VANOC and the sports federations have increased access.

The new track at the Whistler Sliding Centre - home to bobsled, luge
and skeleton - is so fast and technical, extra training weeks have
been added, said Priestner Allinger.

That didn't happen prior to the 2006 Olympics in Turin, Italy, said
Jeff Christie, a luge athlete from Vancouver.

"At the Olympics in Italy we had zero extra,'' said Christie. "They
actually gave us less than exactly what we were supposed to get. They
didn't have any qualms about it because they gave their home team the
advantage.

"In a sport like luge, that's the way it goes. I go onto other tracks
in the world, a lot of the German tracks, where I get six runs before
a World Cup event and they train on it their whole lives.''

Priestner Allinger said management at the Pacific Coliseum, home to
figure skating and short-track speedskating, has offered ice to other
countries on a pay-as-you-go basis. So far, most countries have not
taken the arena up on its offer, she said.

Other host nations have also played it close to the vest on the issue
of Olympic venue access.

Peter Judge, chief executive officer for the Canadian Freestyle Ski
Association, remembers the World Cup events hosted by the U.S. team
prior to the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics.

"Their mogul course builder built the course differently for all the
World Cups that led up to the Games, but for their home-field
advantage training camp, built it the way it was going to be for the
Olympic Games,'' said Judge.

Priestner Allinger said the Turin organizing committee also played some tricks.

"I can tell you the Canadian short-track team and the figure skating
teams did not get on the ice once in Turin prior to the Olympic
Games,'' she said. "They chose to hold a sport event that was the
European championships, so it excluded America.''

Gartner thought he had an agreement in place for Canadians skiers to
train with the Italian team on the Olympic course prior to Turin.

"They played all sorts of games,'' he said. "We ended up getting no training.''

===

Rob, I still think the sport is much more honorable than you let on,
but it looks like some "off the field" play has been going on for
quite some time.  It finally killed someone.

For those who don't think this has anything to do with Funsec -- watch
what happens when people die.