funsec mailing list archives

Re: Can you trust Chinese computer equipment?

From: Benjamin Brown <optikali () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 23:43:43 -0500

I apologize for waxing n00b, but what exactly do you mean by "baseline"?

Thanks!
-Ben

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 10:48 PM, Tomas L. Byrnes <tomb () byrneit net> wrote:

 Las year, I had to clean out a client site due to a Trojan loaded on one
of their employee’s laptops from a kid’s learning program that was
duplicated in China.

Clearly, the PRC is engaging in war by other means.

YMMV, but I won’t load anything into my network without a full baseline,
and I no longer install software via any method except direct download from
the manufacturer with hash code check.