funsec mailing list archives

Re: 95% of User Generated Content is spam or malicious

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:28:08 -0800

DROP and Country blocks are part, but only part, of the ThreatSTOP
feeds.

If you're not using Bogons, DShield, Shadowserver, and the SRI MTC,
you're missing the recon bots, new malware drive-by seeds, and the C&Cs.

We've got those, and more, including some of our own developed using
cross-correlation and user log submission.

ThreatSTOP is pretty much about aggregating the best practices blocks
such as you have listed, and constantly tracking which ones stay
current, and making them easy to use and dynamically updated across
multiple platforms.

Sounds like you're doing what I was doing when I came up with the
underlying idea, and was having to write a new script for each new type
of firewall or new list I wanted to use, and said "There has to be a
better way", looked for one, didn't find it, and so decided to build it!

Stay safe!