funsec mailing list archives

Re: Slightly icky new biometric

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:22:36 -0400

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 23:26:16 PDT, "Tomas L. Byrnes" said:
Different bacteria, and different strains of the same bacteria, have
varying resistance to all types of countermeasures.

Read what I said. "after the bleach you'll still have roughly that same mix".
If you have 40 million times more A than E, after bleach you'll *still* have a
lot more A than E, unless A is a wimp and E is a statistical outlier on the
hardy end. And that sort of thing happens. Even after bleach, there will be A
left on your hands, and you'll leave A all over the place.  You find a keyboard
that has no measurable A on it but lots of other stuff, it's pretty likely that
you didn't touch that keyboard.

I specifically pointed out it's "enough to get a search warrant" quality, and
I'll stand by that.

And I'll point out that in fact, I can conclusively prove that the
distributions will remain reasonably stable - if applying bleach skewed the
ratios *that* much, then explain why repeated hand-washing results in people
still having a distribution stable enough that the concept is workable?