funsec mailing list archives

Re: Security research vuln pimps

From: Dave Paris <dparis () w3works com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:29:12 +0000

I really can't disagree with Mouse on this one.  The resident rodent
makes an excellent point.

On 4/26/2010 6:08 PM, der Mouse wrote:
Have you ever heard of a terrorist referred to as a "demolition
engineer?"  How about a thief as a "locksmith?"  [...]

Why does this matter?  Well, it's a matter of principle: One is
either part of the problem or part of the solution.  [...]

(I don't think it's that black-and-white, actually, but that's
distinctly a side note.)

It's time to draw a line in the sand.

The time to draw that line was when crackers and malware authors and
the like started getting called "hackers".

I have trouble taking this very seriously now.  You didn't help us when
our name was being abused by the media for the bad guys; why should you
expect any more help now that the shoe is on the other foot?

/~\ The ASCII                           Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
  X  Against HTML             mouse () rodents-montreal org
/ \ Email!         7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B