funsec mailing list archives

Viral licensing

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 15:20:29 -0800

A few years back, Microsoft was jumping up and down and trying to convince us
that open source, and the General Public Licence, in particular, was leading to the
End-Of-Computing-As-We-Know-It, since the GPL was viral, and any software
touched by open source tools would get "infected" by the GPL.

That argument still surfaces from time to time.  Seemingly, the movie industry
seems to have heard of it, and thinks it's a good idea.  For *them* to try:

"Why Our Civilization's Video Art and Culture is Threatened by the MPEG-LA"

http://bit.ly/9dFMfl  (OS news)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
What a waste it is to lose one's mind.  Or not to have a mind is
being very wasteful.  How true that is.                 - Dan Quayle
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/NoticeBored http://twitter.com/rslade