funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [rforno () infowarrior org: [Infowarrior] - New attack bypasses virtually all AV protection]

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 16:25:48 +0300 (EEST)

It appears that F-Secure
http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001949.html

Trend
http://countermeasures.trendmicro.eu/you-just-cant-trust-a-drunk/

Sophos
http://www.sophos.com/blogs/gc/g/2010/05/11/khobe-vulnerability-game-security-software/

and ESET
http://www.eset.com/blog/2010/05/11/khobe-wan-these-arent-the-droids-youre-looking-for

have posted their 'is-the-game-over' type response.

Juha-Matti

Nick FitzGerald [nick () virus-l demon co uk] kirjoitti:
Rich Kulawiec wrote:

I'm not qualified to evaluate this research on its technical merits,
but I believe that some of you are.

It's a race attack against a classic TOCTTOU (pr. "tock-too"; time-of-
check-to-time-of-use) vuln.

The advisory's authors apparently don't know that terminology, but it's
a class of security vulnerability that has been known for about as long
as we've known about security vulnerabilities.  IIRC (never actually
laid eyes on the report myself) this is one of the categories in the
(in)famous RISOS Project (Research In Secured Operating Systems)
reports from the early 70s.  The typical "fix" to avoid such
possibilities is use of a critical section (it's why they were
invented, I think) or to make special atomic functions that are
effeectively chains of "smaller" functions. Neither is
reasonable/possible here -- as I understand the advisory, the code that
needs protection against this TOCTTOU can be arbitrarily pre-empted by
the scheduler and it would (probably) take significant re-architecting
of Windows to provide an atomic function for this special anti-malware
purpose (and that would have to be made non-pre-emptible).

The advisory's authors suggest they have a solution, but they only make
that information available to their paying clients.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald