funsec mailing list archives

Re: so paypal has an ignorebot now?

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:38:32 -0400

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 04:49:43PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:
i will not stop my e-mail work flow to use a web browser and cut/paste.
that'll never happen. i get too much e-mail, and too much spam, to make
that possible. the imposition you'd be asking is way more than the good
will i've got on hand.

I'm generally on board with this sentiment.  (I'm not talking about Paypal
in particular here.)  RFC 2142 says "abuse" is the designated role address,
so I expect everyone to accept mail traffic there that's not only about
abuse *of* the domain/organization/business, but abuse *by* same.  Now
what they do with it internally -- say, shuffle it into "IP abuse",
"SMTP abuse", "fraud" and "phish" -- is up to them.  But there are far
too many "thems" to remember which one wants traffic sent to "spoof"
or "fraud" or "tos-spam" or whatever-it-is this week.

Now in this particular case: surely an organization with overflowing
buckets of money can figure out how to route incoming traffic to that
address to the appropriate internal destinations, even if it means hiring
enough people to do it by hand.  There is absolutely no excuse for asking
outsiders -- who have already been gracious and generous enough to donate
their valuable time -- to donate still more.

---Rsk