funsec mailing list archives

Butterfly banknotes

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 18:17:13 -0800

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/06/02/butterflies-color-bank-card-
security.html

Butterflies and some birds (such as peacocks) are actually black.  The colours come
from diffraction effects.  We've been using diffraction gratings on some credit
cards for a while, but you'll notice that those logos change colour when you change
angle.  I assume the new ones will be a consistent colour.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
We are changing the world faster than we can change ourselves,
and we are applying to the present the habits of the past.
                                                 - Winston Churchill
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://www.infosecbc.org/links http://twitter.com/rslade