funsec mailing list archives

Caller-ID spoof and voicemail

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:35:21 -0800

It's easy to spoof caller-ID with some VoIP systems.  There are a few Websites
that specifically allow it.  It's a little harder, but geekier, to spoof or overflow
caller-ID with a simple Bell 212A modem: it's transmitted with that tech between
the first and second rings of the phone.  (Since most people have caller-ID these
days, many telcos don't play you the first ring.  Since we don't have caller-ID, we
often get accused of answering the phone before it rings.)  (Of course, the rings
you hear on the calling side aren't necessarily the rings heard on the other end, but
...)

Apparently AT&T allows immediate access to voicemail on the basis of caller-ID.

Apparently, with Android phones, it's also gotten even easier to spoof caller-ID:

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/06/29/1840241/Hack-ATampT-Voicemail-With-
Android

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather
straps.                                               - Emo Phillips
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://www.infosecbc.org/links http://twitter.com/rslade