funsec mailing list archives

Security "breach"?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:08:18 -0800

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/07/22/whale-yacht022.html

"Whale" attacks are a seriously underestimated physical security threat.  Very few
companies have business continuity plans addressing this threat.  Security
management has not yet properly produced policy template documents addressing
the issue.  Access control of the Cape waters is not properly dealing with the
matter.  Sailboats and other small craft are broadcasting their locations without
encrypting the information, so whales (and sharks) are able to intercept the data.
A properly constituted security architecture would prevent such issues.  (The
original "Whale" was one of the earliest polymorphic viruses, creating a few dozen
variants.)  Our undersea cable communications infrastructure is definitely
vulnerable to these creatures.  Operations personnel do not have proper incident
response training for these events.  And what are the legal and jurisdictional issues
of South African whales attacking ships of other nations?

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
The World Youth Congress was the greatest thing that ever
happened [to Ghana], so I was surprised to learn [later] that it
was a CIA front.  I may be the only person you will ever meet who
is indebted to the CIA.                              - Stephen Lewis
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://www.infosecbc.org/links http://twitter.com/rslade