funsec mailing list archives

Re: "The ISC is the Microsoft of the DNS, BIND its Windows, ..."

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 16:00:04 -0400 (EDT)

Perhaps the ISC should also divest DNS interests from the US so that
more dns operators, immune from US control, are available to the
community.
depending on what the above turns out to mean, i might ask if you're
insane.

Yeah.  I can't think of anything it could mean that the ISC is in a
position to do, possibly excepting the ISC itself moving outside US
jurisdiction, which, even if the people involved were interested in
doing, wouldn't actually help the global situation to any significant
extent as far as I can see.

Mind you, I think moving the DNS root out from under US government
control would be a good idea...if, *IF*, (a) it were feasible (which it
might be, barely) and (b) it wouldn't mean instead putting it under
some other, not significantly better, comparable organization.  (What
it *needs* is to be under the control of someone more interested in a
well-run net than in making money.  Where's Jon Postel when you need
him?)

But that's not something the ISC can do.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org