funsec mailing list archives

Re: US Customs vs the pirates

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 17:47:10 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: funsec-bounces () linuxbox org [mailto:funsec-bounces () linuxbox org]
On Behalf Of Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah
Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2010 6:10 PM
To: funsec () linuxbox org
Subject: [funsec] US Customs vs the pirates

US Customs, a wholly owned subsidiary of DHS, has seized some domain
names of
companies distributing movies.

http://asert.arbornetworks.com/2010/07/takedown/

"Though the actual servers hosting the alleged pirate web sites
resided
in different
countries (including the Netherlands and Germany), the video sites
registered the
domain names using US based companies."

Interesting jurisdictional issues.

Also, it appears to have been fairly ineffective.

Based on my regular analysis of thepiratebay.org and associated torrent
seeds, I'd say they also grabbed it. The SSL cert chain was broken for a
day or so.

Everyone here does know that torrents are used to distribute malware,
often in oddball packages, such as movies that download "codecs" that
are Trojans, right?