funsec mailing list archives

Re: From the folks who brought you the TSA: infosec directives

From: Bruce Ediger <bediger () stratigery com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 08:36:32 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010, Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah wrote:

"Politicians are proposing a novel approach to cybersecurity: fine technology
companies $100,000 a day unless they comply with directives imposed by the U.S.
Department of Homeland Security."

You folks realize that even average programmers know that when the word
"compliance" gets used to justify something, that something is invariably
illogical rubbish?  Having to "comply" with "DHS directives" will cement the
subtext of "compliance is crap".  I'm sure I don't have to prompt you to
imagine how unearthly those "directives" will be, or how uncomfortable the
"imposition" will end up.